Last week I was given some news that I had a new problem with this pregnancy called Cholestasis (liver doesn't filter out bile salts), this can be very bad for Gracie and it made me itch all over my body. They then needed to run some tests to confirm, if they came back positive then I would be induced yet again. So Saturday I received a call from my Doctor asking us to come for an induction.
I was happy that we would be able to have her on the weekend but really nervous about going through a long labor again. We arrived at the hospital around 3:30ish and then was checked into our room. We did not start the process until after 5pm. We had lots of friends and family in the room with us supporting Steve and I. They had to put in a pill to try to soften my cervix but it can only be done every four hours. Everyone went home after we got the news that at 10pm I had no change. Steve and my sister Tera stayed to help me get through the night. They put in the 3rd pill at 2am and I was instantly starting to contract finally!!! We then started walking around every couple of hours until 6am came and they then told me my cervix was ready but since I still had not dilated at all and they would have to start me on pitocin.
I wasn't happy about that news since my contractions were 2 minutes apart I was convinced that I would dilate 1cm. Once they started me on pitocin sadly the contractions were really strong and less then one minute apart, they were worried that my body would not be able to handle this for a long time. I was doing really well with the support of my mom, Steve and sister. Mom rubbed my back for a long time since this labor was mostly in my back (the nurse thinks that Gracie is face up which causes back labor). I finally gave in once I was dilated to 4 on my own and asked for the epidural. Steve and I were in the room alone when they gave me the epidural at around 10:30 am and after that I felt great!!!! All my friends and family came back in with looking at a smile on my face.
I then was checked at noon and guess what I was fully dilated, wow that was fast! Steve and I had decided that we were going to share this birth with some family and close friends, if they wanted to stay. In the room with us was, my sister Tera, my mom Landa, my mother-in-law Chris, my nieces Kyndra and Kaylin, and my ladies Chandel, Jenn and Liz.
Andrea my sister-in-law was also invited but since she has some trouble with blood she opted to stay out. The nurse and midwife was so wonderful to us all, they let Tera handle the baby monitor my mom held one leg and Steve got the job of holding the leg that I had no feeling in (poor guy). We started pushing after one pm and it only took about 20 minutes. Grace Louise Thorns came out at 1:53pm looking nice and white since she was 10 days early. My mom cut the cord since Steve did Stephen's and really said he would love for someone else to do it this time. I was able to do skin-to-skin for a long time which was so special for me. She was then weighed and measured, 7 lbs 8 oz. 20 inches long and head was only 13.35 inches.
I only had to have 3 or 4 stitches but the nurse was right she came out face up. After the short delivery and they cleaned me up the rest of the family in the waiting room came in. Stephen was the first to be introduced to his new little sister, he was so excited to see her. They then set him into bed with me and I was able to hold both my little boy and my little girl together.
That moment was perfect, Stephen started singing to her right away and told her he loved her soooooo much! We were then moved to another room for the night and that was much nicer then the last experience. Steve and I stayed there together while Stephen went home with Grandma and Grandpa Thorns. We had a long night not because of Gracie but because we were check so many times by nurses and doctor's (I know they are just doing what they have to do). We were excited to know that we were going home in the morning!!!
So now that we have arrived at home we are pleased to say that she is perfect!!! Well at least I think so, she sleeps great and for the most part eats regularly every 2 or 3 hours apart. She never spits up so far and hardly ever fusses (totally opposite of Stephen as a baby).
We are having such a fun time watching Stephen hold and sing to her all the time. Please if you are in the area come by and meet her, you will love her as much as we do.

5 comments:
You were awesome during delivery! I love your blog and think it is great. I am excited that I will be able to view pictures of the kids as they grow, since I am not able to be there all the time to see it myself. I love you Thorns family!
Thanks so much for sharing the arrival of Grace. We have all been waiting patiently to hear the story of her birth and to finally see some pictures of this gorgeous baby girl we keep hearing about. She is beautiful and I can't wait to meet her in person. Give her a big hug and kiss from her SOCAL cousins. We love you all and wish you all the happiness in the world.
Crystal, thank you so much for sharing, and I think you did a great job on your blog! Gracie is a beautiful little girl, I know you and Steve are so proud!! Sniff her and kiss her for me, and I will give you a call soon to schedule a visit!
Love you! Jamie
Congratulations! I feel like I got to share a little part of that day now! I miss you so much and am so happy for you guys. So sweet to hear how much Stacie all ready loves his little sis Gracie Matilda (that's right...)Keep up the blog so we can continue to see your family grow. I love you all. Shan
hey auntie!!!!
congrates! and keep on adding pictures to your blog! i like to save all of the pictures, well most of them anyways. Gracies picture is my desktop and my instant messenger picture icon!
we have to do another sleepover next time! i had a blast last time! maybe next time you can come over to my house and spend the night!oh and i broke my ankle!!! april fools!!!!!!
ps love you! :)
Post a Comment